Monday, December 19, 2005

No Show

I celebrated Christmas with my side of the family this weekend and my brother and his family no showed.  No call, no explanation, no apology. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time.  You'd think I wouldn't have been upset because I half expected it.  But it hurt so much it was a physical pain. 

Perhaps you join me in thinking my brother is any number of not nice things.  I cannot justify or excuse his behavior.  But as I cried out to God for comfort, He reminded me that although I have never no showed for my family Christmas, I have no showed Him just the same.

There were the years that I no showed God at church.  He was there and I wasn't.  There were the decades that I never read His letters to me (the Bible). Then there are the countless times that I've promised to have special time with Him, but I don't show up.  How much my failure to show up must hurt Him.  How gracious is our God that He welcomes me back with open arms no matter how many times I no show.

No comments: