Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Have You Prayed About It?

My husband and I recently finished leading a family Bible study on the life of George Muller.  I can't recommend the biography of his life enough (George Muller: Guardian of Bristol's Orphans by the Benge's available at www.christianbook.com).  George didn't begin life as an upstanding guy.  He was a con artist who happily stole even from his friends.  That was before his encounter with the Holy Spirit.

George went to a worship meeting on a lark and ended up coming to faith in Jesus.  He thought that was wild enough, but then he got the crazy idea to pray on his knees for the money he needed.  His prayer was answered within the hour.  Later, when George answered God's call to start an orphanage, he was sad to discover that no orphans took him up on the free accommodations.  He and his wife, Mary, laughed when they discovered that they had prayed about everything but the orphans to fill the space!  The very next day the orphans arrived.

I know many people who think we shouldn't bother God with our petty concerns.  If you have cancer, they say, pray away!  But if you need a new dress on a limited budget, forget it.  I could argue that God wants us to pray about all our concerns using Scripture, but I think the most potent argument is answered prayer.  When I have asked God for help with the most minor of issues, He has answered!  It's as though He was just waiting.  I tell my kids all the time when they are crying or yelling with frustration, "Please just ask for help!"  I believe our Lord feels the same way.

For months now I have battled a computer problem.  I have called AOL over and over and over again.  I have spent hours of frustration getting new software and installing it, getting mad at my kids when they interrupt my repair attempts and annoyed with my husband for being mad at me about it.  This morning I prayed about it.  This evening I spoke with a technician who immediately fixed the problem.  Coincidence?  I don't think so!  I have seen plaques you can buy that ask, "Have you prayed about it?"  What a good question to ask ourselves each day. 

No comments: