Thursday, November 4, 2004

Happiness Isn't

I was in musicals in high school and I can still sing the number, "Happiness is..." from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.  I think most of us understand what happiness is.  We have a personal list of what brings us joy.  For me, it's playing with my kids without worrying about the clock.  It's laughing with a friend.  It's talking with my husband about how blessed we are and making plans for the future.  It's breathing in a beautiful day.  It's having time to pursue my hobbies.  It's seeing my kids excited about learning.  It's seeing someone get to know God.

Today I haven't been very happy.  I didn't know why until just now.  I haven't been following the Bible's advice.  I haven't been focusing my thoughts on whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is praiseworthy...  I have been thinking about all the things that are wrong with this world.  Perhaps it's more important to consider what happiness isn't than it is to think about what happiness is.  Happiness isn't thinking about the friend who did you wrong.  It isn't thinking about all the immorality on t.v.  It isn't thinking about how you'll never get caught up.  It isn't thinking about all your sins over and over again. 

I have so many good things in my life to consider.  But Jesus said that I ought to be rejoicing that my name is written in the Book of Life.  Everything else is so small in comparison.  Happiness isn't worrying about tomorrow.  Happiness is found in Him.  So rejoice always!  Again I say rejoice! 

No comments: